Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Cookbook, Edition #5: Using Your Old Cookbooks

While moving, I unearthed my old cookbooks and didn't have the heart to put them in the Goodwill pile. While struggling with a severe bout of food boredom, I started looking through these hand-me-down cookbooks and found that there were a lot of recipes I could have, some with no alterations, and some just a few tweaks. There were some recipes that were completely out of the question (i.e. stir fry recipes requiring soy sauce), but I was surprised how little work I would have to do to get out of my food rut and hop back into the gluten-free, soy-free, and dairy-free diet I had tackled in March. Of course, when you are cooking gfsfcf, it's always better choose recipes that are naturally gfsfcf compliant.

Some basic, recurring substitutions:
-Heavy Cream, Half-and-Half and Milk, esp. when used to make something creamy: coconut milk in various concentrations *
-Butter: Canola or olive oil
-Refined Sugar: honey, agave nectar, or (in some cases) fruit

I made lists of the recipes I can have with little or no work and hope to give a compilation to my parents so they can see what I can have.

* A word is necessary about using coconut milk as a gfsfcf substitute. There have been conflicting reports on whether or not coconut products are good for you due to their high saturated fat content. There are plenty of resources on the Internet to allow you to evaluate whether or not including coconut milk in your diet is a good idea. Personally, I don't have a problem using coconut milk as a milk substitute every once in while, so long as I know that I have been getting plenty of fruit, vegetables, grains, and beans and not too much meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment