Sunday, September 19, 2010

Doctor's Appointment Made

My apologies for not writing - school and applying for doctoral programs has been a challenge and will continue to be a challenge throughout the semester.

My 6 month trial of largely gluten, soy, and dairy free eating has come to an end, and I must say that, I like the way I feel and the way my skin has reacted, but I'm afraid that just the diet itself hasn't been the silver bullet in curing my acne 100%.  I'm not giving up by any stretch of the imagination - however, I'm enlisting outside help.  I made an appointment with a dermatology M.D. at the campus health center, where I'm going to lay out my entire story in detail - including my research - and, essentially, draft them in to helping me explore ways to get rid of this acne thing for good.  I'm going to ask to test for food allergies/sensitivities, digestive problems, hormone imbalances, candida, polycystic ovary syndrome (even though I'm not by any definition, obese), insulin resistance - anything that I've considered along the way is fair game - and anything that the MD comes up with is also fair game.  If the MD doesn't buy any of the peer-reviewed research I'm going to bring in (a nice binder - yes, I'm a musician, but I'm an academic musician - I know somewhat how research works), then I'll make an appointment with someone else perhaps a bit more open to new, maybe heretical ideas (my research in music theory is a bit heretical too, hence why I don't have a problem with unorthodox approaches to skin healing).  My parents have given their blessing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment