Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Holy Bleep! (on Vitamixes)

I've been looking around at blenders to replace my poor Oster blender, which is starting to go. I've heard from multiple sources (the blogosphere, Consumer Reports) that Vitamix makes the best blender on the market and will last for a long time. I knew it would be pricey because it's institutional/professional chef quality - not to mention durable - but the base model, the Vitamix 5200, the time of this writing, is $449.00! That's enough to make any grad student gulp in terror. I guess I could just buy another Oster, but I don't want to have to buy another blender in 4 months (since I've been slacking) because I've been using it (abusing it?) the way I have. At the rate I'm going through blenders, I'll go through 2 $40 blenders a year. That's $80 on blenders a year. At that rate, it'll take me 5.625 years to get to $450. I feel great when I stick to the diet, and it helps tremendously, but I'm paying quite a bit for food as it is. That much on a blender - even a good blender - is a lot of money. Yes, spend it on food or spend it on the doctor, but sheesh - this better work!

No comments:

Post a Comment