Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The AFF Diet, Edition #5: The Cheese Problem

While this diet is working for me - I'm working on eliminating my last patch of cysts on the right side of my face, with a bump here and there elsewhere - there is a problem with this diet that keeps coming up. I'm calling it the Cheese Problem.

I like cheese and cheese-based foods - cheesecake, macaroni and cheese, and pizza, particularly - and cheese adds something to a lot of Italian dishes (pasta marinara without parmesan anyone?). I've tried soy-based cheese on an otherwise-acceptable pizza (I think I wrote that confession entry - or maybe it was before I started the blog), and thought it inadequate. After having read somewhere that soy cheese was the best dairy-cheese-alternative out there, I thought I would have to kiss cheese goodbye altogether. That made me really sad. While I don't want to go back to eating dairy (since that seems to be an acne-aggravator, not to mention it messes with my digestive system), I want to eat cheesecake along with my dairy-eating family, boyfriend, and friends.

Today, I ran across the nut cheese idea. There are apparently lots of recipes for this cheese substitute. My brief search yielded mostly cream-cheese-like spreads, like this one, which seems promising for a future diet-friendly cheesecake recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment