Saturday, May 15, 2010

Media, Edition #3: Salt Addiction and "Cultural Handicaps"

Salt isn't something I worry about too much. Quite frankly, I much prefer garlic-y, onion-y, herb-y, sweet tastes in my food. I'll take chocolate any day over salty chips.

That said, Philip J. Klemmer, MD, a professor who gave up salt cold-turkey, said that even though he saw significant health benefits during his "salt challenge", "I couldn't keep up the hunter-gatherer diet [fruits, veggies, and a bit of meat] because it would become a cultural handicap [ . . . ] I'd be less fun. I wouldn't be able to associate with people, or I'd be the one sitting there with a bag lunch when everybody else was ordering food." (1)

I know I've been in this situation - I feel guilty for being the stick in the mud when it comes to food such that I make so many compromises that result in Confession entries. Since its summer and we students have more leisure time, it's even more difficult because temptation is everywhere. Even if I did bring my own food, there are restaurants that wouldn't allow me to take it in. My friends have been supportive (and many thanks to all of you) but there is so little food out there that, if I stuck to the diet the way I stuck to it in the first weeks, I'd miss out on things that are just as important to health as pristine food. Anyone have any advice on this?

No comments:

Post a Comment