Sunday, May 9, 2010

Cookbook, Edition #1: The Green Smoothie

The biggest challenge I had in implementing the diet/regimen (besides money) was that I am a picky eater with a major sweet tooth. A friend of mine mentioned that, as part of her diet, she threw vegetables in her lunch smoothies and didn’t taste them at all. Being willing to try anything, I took the ingredients for my favorite salad (baby spinach and berries) and made a smoothie around it.

An AFF Green Smoothie

The Greens:
-2 fistfuls of spinach
-a fistful of broccoli
-a carrot, diced, with it’s green, leafy top

The Fruits:
-a banana, peeled and chopped
-a fistful or two of berries

The Extras:
-a tablespoon or two of hemp seed
-a splash of water
-a splash of coconut milk

Wash ingredients as needed, place in a blender, and mix until smooth. Pour into a glass, serve immediately, and enjoy.

What I like about this recipe best is its flexibility. You can substitute any green vegetable for the spinach; any number of fruits for the berries and the banana; and any kind of seeds, milk substitutes, or other AFF friendly extras for the hemp seed and coconut milk. You can also add or subtract ingredients to suit your taste buds and still have a good green smoothie. The only time I threw out what I mixed up for a smoothie was when I threw some dates into the mix. Something about that just didn’t work for me.

What variations have you tried? What works? What doesn’t?

No comments:

Post a Comment