Monday, May 31, 2010

Cookbook, Edition #4: Chocolate Goo

I love chocolate. Before I went gluten, soy, and dairy free, I tried to have a little bit of dark chocolate every day. Whether or not it is actually good for you, I liked having an excuse to have a nibble or two.

Now, most chocolate bars require a confession entry. Nonetheless, I still have the last bit of a Trader Joes Dark Chocolate Bar in my fridge. I know it's probably gone bad, but I just don't have the heart to let it go yet - not to mention I hate wasting food.

When I went gluten, soy, and dairy free, I knew that I would need some kind of chocolate substitute to satisfy my addiction. I did some reading, adapted recipes to my situation, and came up with a Chocolate Goo that works well on its own and as a frosting that surprised the day-lights out of my gluten-soy-and-dairy-eating friends. If you come up with a better title, feel free to leave it in the comments.

Chocolate Goo

1 part Cocoa Powder
2 parts Coconut Oil
1 part Honey (I switched to Agave Nectar after I read it wouldn't make my blood sugar spike - another possibility for my breakouts - you can use less if you use it)

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer, for best mixing. At this point, you can use it as frosting or eat it plain. I've also experimented with adding flax and hemp seeds, as well as other nuts, to make the goo less goo-like and more like a chocolate. I've also tried substituting bananas for part of the honey/agave nectar, but that experiment didn't work so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment