Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Cookbook, Edition #2: Breakfast Rice

While on vacation, I had access to lots of rice and spices for free (Thank you!). It wasn't ideal rice - it wasn't organic and it was fortified - but it sure tasted good and prevented me from writing even more confession entries than I did last week.

When I was a kid, my paternal grandmother once gave us rice with spices and milk for breakfast - a variation on oatmeal. I liked it a lot as kid - I liked oatmeal and rice was just as good. So when confronted with rice and spices for breakfast, I knew (more or less) what I was going to do.

Breakfast Rice

1 cup dry rice (I used white rice on my vacation, but brown rice would work too)
a few shakes cinnamon
a dash nutmeg
a dash cardamom (this stuff is pricey, but it is fantastic)
a bit olive oil (optional)

Boil rice according to the instructions on the package. While the water is boiling, add oil and spices to taste. Continue to cook rice according the package instructions. When rice is finished, fluff and enjoy while hot.

Variations: Add your "milk" of choice for a dish a bit more like oatmeal. Try adding your favorite fruit, nuts, and/or seeds for more nutritional punch. Substitute different rices, amaranth, quinoa, or gluten free oats (if you can have them).

Yield: 2 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment