Friday, May 7, 2010

Hello World!

I am a 23-year-old graduate student who loves food, but has struggled with acne for 12-13 years. Six weeks ago, I decided that the standard acne treatments just did not cut it anymore and I wanted to try something different. Over Spring Break, I researched, developed, and implemented a regimen for myself using free Internet resources and some old-fashioned common sense. This is the regimen I came up with, after some experimentation:

Diet:
-tons of fresh, organic fruits and vegetables blended in smoothies
-organic, fresh, raw nuts and seeds
-occasional, organic, grass-fed meat
-organic rice, quinoa, and amaranth
-organic coconut, canola, and olive oil, used sparingly
-no dairy, soy, or gluten in any form
-limited caffeine, corn syrup, and white sugar
-raw, organic, green foods powder taken once a day in the morning

Topical Regimen:
-two short, hot, showers a day
-washing with organic coconut oil and a salicylic acid cleanser
-toning with organic tea tree oil
-morning only: oil free conventional moisturizer/sunscreen
-night only: Retin-A cream and organic coconut oil

I am pleased to report moderate, but undeniable, results, even though I broke the diet and regimen several times. What I am not pleased to report, however, is that money, time, and scarcity threaten my ability to stick with the regimen. As a result, I am working to develop solutions for myself, share my solutions with others, and advocate for change in the way we approach food, both on a small and large scale. This blog will document my research, successes, and failures in pursuing those goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment